Physiotherapists (Physical Therapists)

Physiotherapy is a respected profession in New Zealand, with physiotherapists working in a range of public and private settings, including hospitals, private clinics, gyms and workplaces.

1. Registration

To practise as a physiotherapist in New Zealand, you are required by law to be registered by the Physiotherapy Board of New Zealand and to hold a current Annual Practising Certificate.

Check out our flow chart and see below for more information on the registration process.

Australian applicants

If you are currently registered and entitled to practise physiotherapy in Australia, you are eligible to seek registration in New Zealand under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Agreement (TTMRA).

To download the application form and to find out more about the application process, please see the Physiotherapy Board's website.

Other overseas applicants

All other overseas qualified physiotherapists must seek registration under the HPCAA. You can complete self-evaluations on the Physiotherapy Board’s website to determine if you are eligible to be registered.

You can also download an application pack and templates from this website.

You do not have to undertake a mandatory examination to register in New Zealand. However, if you are unable to demonstrate competency in your written documentation, you may be offered the chance to complete a competence examination at your own expense.

2. Job offer

After you have gained registration with the Physiotherapy Board, you can begin to look for work. Visit the national health job website to begin your hunt today. If you receive a job offer prior to being registered, this will not affect your registration application.

3. Work visa

To be eligible to work in New Zealand, you need a work visa. Work visas are issued by Immigration New Zealand. If you are an Australian national, you do not need to apply for a work visa. 

Got a question? Check out our forum to see if your question has already been answered or contact us directly.


Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Facebook

   (c) 2011 HealthCareers / DHBSS
   Designed and developed by

I'm a student
I'm overseas
I'm returning to work
I'm working in health

I'm an RMO
I'm a first year House Officer
Careers videos
Site Map

In association with