Medical radiation technologists

Medical radiation technology is one of the most rapidly growing health professions in New Zealand, so it is a good field to work in. 2006 census figures showed that the number of MRTs employed in New Zealand grew by 46% between 1996 and 2006.

Scope of practice

There are eight scopes of practice within the medical radiation technology profession. These are:

  • Diagnostic Imaging General Technologist
  • Radiation Therapist
  • Nuclear Medicine Technologist
  • Sonographer
  • Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologist
  • Trainee Nuclear Medicine Technologist
  • Trainee Sonographer
  • Trainee Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologist

More information on each scope of practice is found on the MRT Board's website.

1. Registration

MRTs are required by law to be registered by the MRT Board and to hold an Annual Practising Certificate. You cannot use any of the titles listed above unless you are registered with the Board.

Check out our flow chart and see below for more information on the registration process.

Applicants from Queensland, Western Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and the Northern Territory

If you are from one of these jurisdictions, you are entitled to seek registration in New Zealand under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act (TTMRA). Your application will be treated as if you are a New Zealand graduate.

However, the TTMRA only applies to certain scopes of practice. These are:

  • Diagnostic Imaging General Technologist
  • Radiation Therapist
  • Nuclear Medicine Technologist

If you hold an Australian qualification and wish to register in New Zealand in a different capacity, you will need to apply according to the requirements of an overseas-qualified applicant (see below).

For application forms, please visit the MRT Board’s website.

Other overseas applicants

If you qualified in other areas of Australia or another country, you must satisfy the MRT Board that your education and experience have equipped you with knowledge and skills that are equivalent to a New Zealand graduate’s knowledge and skills. See the MRT Board’s website to download application forms and to find out what documentation you require to apply for registration.

2. Job offer

After you are registered with the MRT Board, you are eligible to work in New Zealand. You will find jobs listed on the national health job website.

3. Work visa

To be eligible to work in New Zealand, you will need a work visa. You can apply for work visas from Immigration New Zealand. If you are an Australian national, you do not need to apply for a work visa.  

Got a question? Check out our forum to see if your question has already been answered or contact us directly.


Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Facebook

   (c) 2011 HealthCareers / DHBSS
   Designed and developed by

I'm a student
I'm overseas
I'm returning to work
I'm working in health

I'm an RMO
I'm a first year House Officer
Careers videos
Site Map

In association with